MakeDaysCount - Rewind: Orientation weekend


They reminded me so much of how I was anticipating for my new life across the globe. So much of memories. They asked questions that I used to break my coconut thinking about it. They are nervous and anxious over things that I once had the same.

"You need to be prepared to eat weird things,
you need to be prepared to try weird things,
you need to be prepared to speak another new language,
you need to be prepared for cultural-shock,
you need to be prepared to be laughed,
you need to be prepared to laugh at jokes you don't understand,
you need to be prepared to be left alone,
you need to be prepared to not being able to communicate with the people,
you need to be prepared to .......
and the list goes on" said them.

"Just go with an open heart, don't put too much expectations and you'll come back with full bucket of knowledge and experiences." said them.

Back when I first got my confirmation letter, went through my first AFS interview, running from places to places for my AFS documents, ATTENDED MY FIRST AFS CAMP. Reminiscing the footsteps, how far have I traveled since day one?
AFS Malaysia Volunteers - Interview 
You can't predict the problems you will face in your exchange, neither can you Google the ways to prevent or solve the predicted problems. It all lies on your immediate reactions.

I give thanks to the people who at once have even no clue who I am, yet bring me in the family with open hearts and arms. I call them my home and family now.
I give thanks to the people who I was randomly put in class with. I call them my classmates and friends.
I give thanks to the people who have walked along by my side and constantly giving me advice. I call them my navigator.
I give thanks to the people who helped me realize the culture and believes and parts of the world I've never seen before. I call them my teacher.
I give thanks to the people who have helped me find myself along the way. I call them my indicator.





I still remember when I first knew my host, first e-mail,then Facebook. It was mama whom I started the conversation with. That felt unreal.
Then we started chatting over little things. They told me they started preparing my room. My heart skipped a bit. Peep on my calendar and knew it was close. That felt unreal.
Little sister sent me a <3 in FB messenger, I'm excited to meet her. That felt unreal.
I asked how's everybody like at home. Maarten explained their character. I'm even excited. That felt unreal.
I asked what are the house rules. * can't stop laughing at myself* But mama said, don't worry enjoy your last 2 weeks at home. OMG 2 weeks left. That felt unreal.
Checked in: Kuala Lumpur international airport
Checked in: Frankfrut airport
Checked in: Brussels airport
Checked in: Arrival campsite
Checked in: Brugge
AND
Checked in: Sijseelsesteenweg, Damme
These felt equally unreal but hey I am living now across the globe where I call it,
HOME, FAMILY.

Now,
You get good times
You get sweet memories
You get awkward moments
You get teased
You get laughed
You get making fun from someone else
You get tough times

But,
You grow each day.


Note to them who are leaving later in the year,
You enjoy the most moments with your family now. You leave with least expectations but knowing you will come back with a full bucket. You indulge and get involved as much as you can with your host.
Make your life in a year !


My best wishes to them,
JiaMi 

Comments