MakeDaysCount-Turning challenges to motivations

Learning to tolerate in the differences we have, the culture most importantly the language is not an easy task.

I fear every time when we need to change classes, moving from class to class in the school. You fear every time you will be alone. You can't fit into their topics.The first week, you appeared to be different from the group. The teachers introduced you in front of the students. People try to know you, asking where are you from, why are you here for. You answered their questions.

As days and days goes by, you feel you need to try adapt to their habits in order to be like them. You know that you need to make yourself in their shoes and to be part of them to feel as one.Your language improved, now you can laugh at their jokes and join them with their conversations (you listen more than you talk because you're afraid to say the wrong things). But there are still times, you missed your friends at home. How I used to share food, passing food from tables to tables during recess time with my friends.

School. Some classes are dreadful for me. I don't understand what the teacher says, yet paying my respect by nodding at them when they look at me. The teachers read the answers, everyone was busy jotting down the notes and answers, your hearts screamed, ' WRITE THEM ON THE BOARD SO I CAN COPY' but you were afraid to slow down their study process so you kept quiet. When the classes end, you borrowed notes and copied them. You have to do extra work compared to other students by translating your homework and notes.

Sometimes, you doubt if you're making the right friends. You doubt if you're having good friends and if you're in the right group. You are sometimes tired of people asking you, where are you from, what are you doing here all the questions that you have been answering since day 1. Then, you start thinking people talk to you because they take pity on you cause you are the quiet one. But you still thank them for making the conversations.

I am thankful to have the table-partners that I've got to know from having warm-meals together with them on Mondays and Fridays afternoon. They try to include me in their conversations. Trying hard to translate things to me. They have been the people whom I hope to spend more of my time with.

They have been really friendly :) 
Thankful for the lovely sisters too ! 

Reason why I look forward to Mondays and Fridays middag pauze.

It has been 2 months now. As what the AFS said, there will be different emotions as an exchange student. All you need to do is to try your best adapting their culture day by day, bit by bit.
'Ik mag een jaar blijven'
I'm happy yet afraid of future hurdles and obstacles.

Loves,
Jiami



Comments