MakeDaysCount -My last 20 days

Sorry that I have not been keeping this blog updated.Since school has ended, I've been preparing myself to bid goodbyes to the ones that have taken part in my exchange year. I remembered 10 months ago, I packed my things and knowing I'll be away from home for three months. Never do I know, this place made me fell in love and extended my stay. From three months to a year and now counting my 20 days down till I'm home.

People asked 'Excited to be home?' 'How's your year in Belgium?' 'What do you miss the most from home?' 'What will you miss from Belgium?' 

Because they asked, it made me ponder. 

How was a year without your family? 
I would be glad enough to tell you that I'm blessed to have a great host family. They welcom me in this home since the first day. They tried their best giving me what I needed and that's what made me miss home less. (but does not mean I don't miss) You definitely won't feel good seeing family portraits back home without you, important dates celebrated without you but yet on the other side of the world you're making the best out of yourself by participating yourself in the new family. 

This year. As I looked back, I'm not sure how much I've changed but those little things took up places in my heart.

You are stronger than you think.
Only when you leave home, you realize how much you lean on to your parents and how much people back home mean to you. You realize you grow up mentally by making decision and choices of your own, choosing what's right and not especially when you (at least me) ain't good at decision making.

You think you know yourself? Stop and rethink. 
When was the last time you did something for the first time? I found something that I never thought I would enjoy. The listed-boring-things can end up be something you do as your hobby? Exams after exams, first UPSR, PMR, SPM and what more have made students pilling themselves up with extra classes. I never thought knitting, crochet, puzzling, board games can be hobbies to fill up my time. Sudoku? Binaire? Only if you make time to rest, you found something new within yourself. So stop, reflect and rethink.

Most people are kind.
To the most kind people I can say would be my host family. They took me in as a family even though I was just a stranger from the other side of the world. They thought me the very most things in Belgium, what to do what not. Along your exchange, you find you laughing at yourself because of the silly things you did. You left your school beg in the school, you missed the bus, you do things another way round because you never know the rules exist. (Yes, I forgot my school bag -.-) You met people who understand you as an exchange student, you met people who do not welcome you, you met people who discriminate you but they are meant to help you grow. Take those who accept you and leave those who don't for they don't deserve.

It's the little things.
Sitting on a table together for a meal. Solving puzzles. Chit-chat. Simply little things warm your heart. Don't ask for big things and you upset yourself because things do not turn out the way you want it. Gratitude is the attitude. 

Whatever you feel is okay.
Come as you are. No one is better at being you, than you. Timing is everything. Things will happen as they meant to. You are constantly put into trials and situations and you strive to fix them. I broke down once this year too. For every situations you met, you grow a little. 

I am not exactly expecting much from my last 20 days, but rather keeping it slow and reflect what has this year been to me. 
Many thanks to the ones who have been by my side helping me along the exchange to make sure I'm still on the right path. 

Lots of love, 
JiaMi 

Comments